What happens if my dog drinks chlorinated pool water?

dog drinking from a swimming pool

Are you worried about your pet drinking pool water? Then this article will help answer any questions that you have with regards to this.

If your pet consumes too much pool water, it can become a problem. Most pools have a low level of chlorine to keep them sanitized, and in small amounts, it might not harm your pet in those little quantities. So even if your dog ingests a small amount of water, there is no need to be scared or panic. Just be calm.

However, when taken in excess, your pet could experience problems. Large amounts of chlorinated water can cause stomach irritation and vomiting in your pet.

One thing that most people might not realize is that while swimming, people swallow the pool water inadvertently. This will not cause any harm to you or your pets if it is in such small amounts. Regardless, it is not advisable to drink much, as in addition to the chlorine, there might also be other chemicals and toxins present in the water.

How much chlorine is toxic to dogs?

The Center for Disease Prevention and Control (CDC) says that it is safe for humans and pets to ingest chlorinated water in concentrations up to 4 milligrams per liter. Anything more than this can be toxic to your dog.

Pool water typically contains 1-3 milligrams per liter. As a result of this, you might think that it is safe for your pet to drink. However, the main issues arise with certain compounds found in the water, called chloramines. They are derivatives of the chlorine in the water and are responsible for the smell you think is the smell of chlorine. Chloramines can lead to irritation of your dog’s eyes and skin.

As a pet owner, you should ensure that your dog has another drinking source to prevent the ingestion of or exposure to these chloramines.

How to Protect Your Dog While Swimming

Always ensure that your swimming pool is properly sanitized.

Keep your pool sanitized and clean by properly using chemicals in their right balance and proportion. A pool that is not kept clean can cause health issues for both your dogs and you.

Keep your pet away from chemicals.

It is good news that your dog can wander around the house. However, always keep an eye out for where they might be. Take it a step further by placing the area where you store these pool chemicals under lock and key.

After swimming, rinse your pets properly. Chlorine can get into the hair and skin of your dog. However, when you rinse them after swimming, you reduce the long-term effect of the chemical on their skin. It will prevent any irritation from setting in.

Watch out for any adverse effects. Carefully watch over your pets for any signs of chlorine irritation, such as red eyes or coughing. As long as they are quite comfortable, there is nothing to worry about. However, if you notice any sign of discomfort, know it is time to step in.

Stopping dogs from drinking pool water

If your dog drinks pool water a lot, then you can try out the following tips:

Make sure to take your dog to a location where there is fresh water. You can pour it out for them in their drinking bowl. Alternatively, you can invest in a drinking fountain designed specially for dogs and other pets.

Dogs will naturally look for water when the temperature increases. Hence, always check for signs of dehydration or overheating. If they begin to pant, that’s a good sign. So give them fresh water to drink, especially if they are near the pool.

Use obedience training to direct your dog. Call them away from the pool. Also, you can use a new toy to distract them from the pool water.

What are some symptoms of chlorine poisoning in dogs?

These are some signs to look out for in cases of chlorine poisoning.

Coughing

Diarrhoea

Stomach pain

Drooling

Vomit ing

Trmeors

Agitation

Lethargy.

Agitation

Nausea

What are some common poisons dogs can get exposed to?

Defender

This metaldehyde chemical is a green snail bait. Dogs exposed to it can start exhibiting symptoms in as little as 30 minutes. They begin showing signs of agitation and increased body temperature. As a result, they begin to pant. When the condition worsens, the dog becomes staggered, and you will notice tremors and uncontrollable convulsions. The dog might begin to vomit or have diarrhea.

Baysol

Baysol is another snail bait, and it is a methiocarb chemical. The symptoms are similar to those of the flu. Atropine can be administered to another dog to stop it from convulsing. The heart and breathing rates of your dog should also be closely monitored.

Chocolate Toxicity

Theobromine is responsible for chocolate toxicity in dogs. Dark chocolate has one of the highest concentrations of this compound. Some of the symptoms include increased heart rate and seizures in very severe cases. The management of this condition is usually treated symptomatically. includes stomach washing and the administration of intravenous fluids.

Pyrethrins and pyrethpoids

These compounds are commonly found in insecticides. and they tend to have an effect on the nervous system. The symptoms of this poisoning usually start with irritation and tingling in the mouth and skin. Then it can be followed by drooling, vomiting, tremors, and even seizures. It could also progress to labored breathing and eventually death.

What are some pet poisoning misconceptions?

Everything is either toxic or non-toxic.

In toxicology, there is a famous saying that “the dose makes the poison.” It is a misconception to think that everything is black and white, especially as it relates to certain substances around us. What might be okay in small quantities can be toxic in larger amounts.

Even something as vital as water can become a problem in excess. Water is vital to the pet’s functioning system. However, water intoxication can happen, which can lead to a fatal electrolyte imbalance.

Chocolate is another good example. It’s common to hear people say that chocolate is poisonous to dogs. However, this is another case of “dose makes the poison.” The amount of chocolate consumed and the size of the dog are factors that can influence whether the dog comes down with symptoms or not.

A certain amount of chocolate, for example, may not have the same effect on a German shepherd as it would on a Chihuahua.

If my pet ate something that’s poisonous but seems fine, then there’s no need to worry.

This is another myth that must be debunked. Some toxins have a rapid onset of symptoms, while others might have a delayed onset, taking hours or days to manifest. Alcohol or nicotine poisoning is an example of a rapid-onset situation. However, some other forms of poisoning do not manifest immediately. It must be kept in mind that there are some symptoms that cannot be monitored or detected easily, such as the heart rate or blood pressure. Also, some toxins can damage internal organs before symptoms begin to appear. In addition, some dogs can hide their symptoms until they are severely ill.

The best course of action if you suspect that your dog has been exposed to a certain poisonous toxin is to immediately contact the veterinarian.

If it is safe for me, then it is safe for my pet. And if it is safe for one person, it will be safe for the other.

There are similarities between the bodies of humans and those of animals, but this does not mean that a certain drug or substance that is harmless to humans will have the same effect on your pet. The major determining factor is the doors. A substance consumed by one person may cause an overdose in your pets.

Allergic reactions are another consideration. Your pets could react differently to certain harmless substances that are eaten every day by humans. An example is the way dogs react to raisins. Consuming it can trigger kidney failure in dogs. However, raisins are completely harmless to humans.

There is no hope if my pet has ingested a poison.

This is not true, as your dog might react differently to a certain toxin or poison it has been exposed to. Some substances might not result in any adverse effects. This in itself is dependent on the type and dose of substance ingested, the size, and the health of your dog.

Also even If there are any negative effects, treating the symptoms as soon as possible will help your pet recover faster.Induced vomiting and stomach flushing are two such examples.These processes help to eliminate the toxin from the pet’s gut.

In addition, there are certain antidotes to various poisons that can be administered.

Can I give charcoal to my dog?

In cases of poisoning, activated charcoal can be administered to your dog. However, do this according to directions from a professional. A veterinarian would be able to give you the accurate dosage relating to the severity and type of toxicity.

Activated charcoal helps prevent the absorption of toxins into your pet’s body system by binding to them and causing them to be eliminated without causing harm to the body. It is an important substance in the detoxification of your pets’ toxins.

Leave a Reply