I Put Shock In My Pool And It Turned Green. What Do I Do?

I Put Shock In My Pool And It Turned Green. What Do I Do?

The pride of every pool owner is having a bright and sparkling pool. As such, a green-colored pool is quite a big turn-off for any pool owner. No one enjoys swimming in green-tinted water. The non-aesthetic look is one thing. That nagging thought at the back of your mind is another. “Who knows all the undesirables that might be lurking in the swimming pool?” As a result of this, anything that takes away the clarity and sparkle of your pool can be a source of concern.

Let’s say you have done your routine shock for the week. But then suddenly, out of the blue, you awake to that murky, greenish hue in your beloved pool. Oh, that is a nightmare. Your worst fears come through.

But you really shouldn’t fear much, because one of the causes of this occurrence is the presence of metals in the pool, such as copper and iron. Chemicals like CuLator, which can effectively remove the metals, are a simple way to solve this problem.

In the rest of the article below, you will get all the answers to your questions. You will get clarity on all the questions that concern this topic.

How long after shocking a pool will the green go away?

On average, after shocking a pool, you can expect the green color to disappear after 4-5 days. This could even take less time. It will all depend on the severity of the green discoloration.

But for you to ensure that the green color clears out in the shortest time possible, you need to make use of your filters. The filters help to take away dead algae from the pool and bring clarity to the pool water.

Can too much chlorine turn your pool green?

In most cases, the commonest cause of a pool turning green is the presence of a little chlorine, not too much. There are exceptions to this, though.

Excess chlorine will turn a pool green when there is the presence of metals such as copper and iron. Chlorine oxidizes these metals in the water to give it a green color.

Why did my pool turn green overnight?

The major cause is the presence of algae. In the warmer months, algae blooms can suddenly break out in your pool water overnight. This is because algae grow and flourish comfortably in warm temperatures.

How much shock do I need for a green pool?

How much shock a green pool needs depends on how bad the green color or algae outbreak is. Below is a guide on how to shock the pool depending on the algae condition.

Light green water: In cases like this, it is obvious that the algae growth has not become so severe. You won’t need an enormous amount of shock. For this situation, you double-shock the swimming pool. Double-shocking the pool involves adding 2 pounds of shock to every 10,000 gallons of water. This also translates to adding 4 pounds of shock to 20,000 gallons of water. This is the ratio to use even as the volume increases.

  • Dark green water: This color change in the water means that algae are growing in a bigger way. In this situation, the amount of shock will increase in proportion. For effectiveness, you will need to triple shock the pool. This involves adding 3 pounds of shock to 10,000 gallons of pool water.
  • Black green water: this is the most severe of algae outbreaks. In this kind of condition, you will have to quadruple shock the pool to be able to kill off the algae efficiently. In this case, the amount of shock needed will be 4 pounds of shock per 10,000 gallons of pool water.

Does a green pool always mean algae?

A green pool doesn’t always mean algae.

There are so many causes for the green coloration of a pool.

One of those is the presence of metals in the pool. As mentioned above, these metals include iron and chlorine. Chlorine oxidizes these metals to form the green coloration you see.

Secondly, another cause of green coloration could be the pH value being too high. Chlorine works best in acidic conditions or low pH conditions. When the pH value is high, the chlorine becomes ineffective. This means that algae won’t be killed effectively.

Thirdly, inadequate cyanuric acid in the water can be a cause. Cyanuric acid is also commonly referred to as “sunscreen for chlorine”. It is a pool stabilizer that reduces the The rate at which chlorine evaporates from the pool It protects your pool from the UV rays of sunlight. These UV rays ordinarily break down the chlorine and make its effect non-long-lasting.

Why is my pool green but not algae?

As already mentioned above, the major cause of a green pool is the presence of metals such as iron and copper. When they undergo oxidation, their ions cause a green discoloration.

Another cause of the green color is the presence of bacteria. Bacteria commonly found in pools include Escherichia coli, Staphylococcus aureus, and Pseudomonas aeruginosa. As the bacteria multiply, they lead to more discoloration of the pool water.

Lastly, the pool’s green color could be caused by trash and other things in it. The presence of debris could also be a factor in the greenish hue. The debris causes the refraction of sunlight in the water and creates a greenish tint.

Why did my pool turn green after adding algaecide?

Some algaecides contain copper or copper sulfate. Using this type of algaecide in a pool only raises the copper levels. Copper, when it undergoes oxidation, turns water green.

A way to prevent this is to make use of a metal-free algaecide. They might be more costly to obtain, but in the long run, it’s better to have your pool have an appealing look.

In cases where the pool has already turned green as a result of copper-containing algaecides, there is a solution for this. There are two steps involved in this process.

The first step involves using specific chemicals that will “chelate” the copper. “Chelate” in this case, to bind the metals. This chemical binds the copper but will not remove it from the water.

The second step involves using a product named CuLator. The CuLator removes the copper from the pool.

Do I use shock or algaecide first?

The right way to do this is to shock the pool first. When the chlorine levels are back to normal, you add the algaecide.

This is important for some reasons.

  • Adverse Chemical Reactions:

The chlorine can react with some chemicals in the algaecides and give rise to harmful products. Generally, it is always advisable not to mix different pool chemicals as there could be dangerous chemical reactions.

  • Pool imbalance:

When chemicals such as shock and algaecides are mixed at once, it can cause a chemical imbalance. This will lead to the water having see-sawing chemistry. It won’t be easy to regulate the chemical balance.

How long after putting shock in the pool can I add algaecide?

A rule to follow is this: after shocking the pool, it should be left to rest for 24–48 hours. This will give the pool time to return to normal levels. This level should be between 1 and 3 parts per million (ppm). After this, the algaecides can be added according to the manufacturer’s instructions.

If the algaecides are added too early, the chlorine renders them ineffective.

Is it OK to swim in a green pool?

No, it is not advisable to swim in a green pool.

A green pool most of the time indicates there is a presence of algae in the pool. Algae can host harmful bacteria. This bacteria can get into your skin and cause some undesirable health problems.

These health problems include bacterial infections on your skin. Also, if there is any wound on your skin, the bacteria can get into your bloodstream and cause even more serious harm.

In addition to the above, you can ingest algae while swimming. Ingested algae can lead to poisoning and make you sick.

It is not all the time that a green pool will be unsafe due to algae. A pool can be green due to a  chemical imbalance. In cases like that, it is wise to test the pool water for any imbalance in its chemistry.

Can I shock my pool twice in 24 hours?

Yes, you can.

In a literal sense, you can’t over shock your pool. The purpose of chlorine is to kill off algae and harmful bacteria. So it is a good thing when the chlorine levels are high enough to prevent the growth of such organisms.

Regardless, one shouldn’t jump right in after a shock. The best thing to do is to allow the level of chlorine to come down to normal. This level ranges between 1 to 3 parts per million.

Share this

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.