When algae starts to grow in the pool, there is a high probability that there is excess phosphate in the pool. You should test for chlorine.
The best thing to do to remove small amounts of phosphate is to shock the pool. However, if the level of phosphate is very high, you should use a phosphate remover. To prevent the shock from sitting on the pool liner, brush the pool wall first, then add the shock and brush the pool again.
After shocking, test the pool for phosphate. If it still indicates the presence of high phosphoric acid, you can go ahead and add the phosphate remover to the skimmer. But they should not be added together at the same time.
Can I shock my pool after adding phosphate remover?
Algae feed on phosphates, so you will need to reduce the level of phosphates in the pool to reduce the rate of algae growth, but this does not remove the algae. Shocking the pool helps to remove most of this algae and sanitizes the pool by adding chloride to it.
So, to eliminate the algae, after applying your phosphate to the pool, you would want to make sure that you brush and shock the pool to sanitize it and stop the growth and reproduction of algae. But they should not be done together as it is not advisable to combine two chemicals in the pool at the same time.
Will shock remove phosphates?
Phosphates in a pool should not be higher than 200 ppm. Shock is used to sanitize the pool and should be done once every week as long as the pool is being used frequently.
If the phosphate level of your pool is not very high, when you shock the pool it goes a long way to remove some of the phosphate. However, if the phosphate level is high, shocking the pool will not remove the phosphates; instead, test the water to determine the best chemical to use.
Can I shock my pool after adding phosphate remover?
Algae feed on phosphates, so you will need to reduce the level of phosphates in the pool to reduce the rate of algae growth, but this does not kill the algae.
To eliminate the algae, after applying your phosphate to the pool, you would want to make sure that you brush and shock the pool to sanitize it from the growth and further inhabitants of some living organisms and kill the algae.
Why is my pool cloudy after adding phosphate remover?
You should avoid making mistakes in the process of putting chemicals in your pool because it affects other important factors needed in the pool.
When you apply too much phosphate remover to your pool, it makes the water very concentrated and makes phosphate sediments go down into the pool, making it cloudy and affecting the alkalinity, pH, chlorine sanitizing power, etc.
So, to avoid cloudiness in the pool after adding phosphate remover, test the water first to know the level of phosphate and the amount of phosphate remover to add.
What happens if you add too much phosphate remover?
As it is normally said, too much of everything is bad. Chemicals should be carefully measured before being applied in the pool, because when you try to treat one thing, you do not want to affect the other important factors like pH, chlorine, and bromine and nitrate level.
When you add too much phosphate remover to the pool, the concentration of the water gets too high. This makes the water more alkaline and makes it cloudy and dirty as the sediments sink to the bottom and settle.
How long does it take the phosphate remover to work?
For a phosphate remover to work rapidly, it depends on the size of your pool, the number of gallons of water, and the quantity of phosphate remover you added.
The phosphate remover, on the other hand, should have been able to remove 90 percent of the phosphates in the water within 24 to 48 hours. But you shouldn’t just assume that the phosphate remover worked without testing the water first.
What causes high phosphate levels in a pool?
Algae feed on phosphate mainly to grow. When phosphate is found in your pool in a very high amount, more than 200 parts per million, your water becomes very unhealthy and changes to a green color.
Phosphates are found in almost everything organic, like rain, well, debris, dead animals, and dried leaves, which are likely prone to getting into the pool by wind, rainfall, etc. It is almost impossible to avoid its addition to the pool.
They could also be added through chemicals applied into the pool that have a phosphoric acid base or washed down fertilizers from the grass around the pool. This one is common for in-ground pools. If you fill a pool with tap water, phosphate can get into it because many tap owners and plumbers use phosphoric acid to keep the pipes in good shape. It also gets high in a pool that has not been shocked or sanitized.
Does high phosphate cause algae in pools?
You have probably used an algaecide to remove the algae from the water and it keeps coming back. You should get your phosphate test kit and check the level of phosphates in the water.
The presence of algae in water depends on the level of phosphates available because they feed on them to grow. So, the higher the phosphate level, the more algae your pool attracts.
Note that even though the phosphates are responsible for the growth of the algae, it does not make the algae die when treated. Chlorine and bromine act as pool water sanitizers, so if you have plenty of algae in the pool, reduce the phosphate and check for chlorine.
How often should I shock my pool?
Pool shock is done to sanitize the water and stabilize the properties the water needs to be healthy for swimming.
It is necessary that your pool should be shocked once every week, especially when you swim in it regularly. It should be done every time you change the water or clean the pool.
How do I remove phosphates from my pool?
Before you think of fixing the phosphate level in a pool, you should have tested for the level of phosphate first with the test kit. If it is higher than 200 parts per million, then you have to work towards bringing it down.
To reduce the phosphate level of the pool, the pool should be brushed, shocked, and phosphate remover should be added. You can also choose to sanitize the pool by checking the chlorine level. Another important thing is removing the leaves and debris and trying to close the pool during the rainfall season.
Where do you put the phosphate remover?
After shocking, test the pool for phosphate. If it still indicates the presence of high phosphoric acid,
You can go ahead and add the phosphate remover to the skimmer. If you add the phosphate remover directly into the water, the probability of it spreading throughout the water is very low, especially for a big pool. When you add it to the skimmer, it circulates it.
Does phosphate affect chlorine?
Chlorine serves as a sanitizer for the pool. It helps to fight living organisms found in the water. Organisms like algae feed off of phosphates to grow, so when this algae gets into the water, the chlorine loses its power to fight the organisms.
So, phosphates affect chlorine in a way that makes it unable to do its job, especially when the level is very high. Note that even though the phosphates are responsible for the growth of the algae, it does not make the algae die when treated. Chlorine and bromine act as pool water sanitizers, so if you have plenty of algae in the pool, reduce the phosphate and check for chlorine.