The location of a hot tub is among the most important factors to think about. There are a variety of surfaces one could choose from. Pavers are one of them. So the simple response to this query is yes.
In the course of this article, we will look at all the benefits using pavers can bring.
How much weight can you put on pavers?
To start off, it is important to know what pavers are.
Pavers are flat construction units that can be made out of stone, brick, or concrete. They are mainly used for external flooring. You must have noticed them mostly on driveways, patios, walkways, and pool decks.
Stone pavers are made from natural stones cut into shape. Brick pavers are made from clay that has been cut into shape and then heated to cause it to harden considerably.
The construction of concrete pavers starts when a dry mix of gravel, sand, cement, and color pigments are mixed with water and then allowed to set. The resulting wet mix is poured into molds. It then goes into a vibrating press that vibrates the mixture and compresses it. Finally, it is then air dried.
These various forms of pavers have different weight capacities. Though in general, a paver can hold up more weight than standard poured concrete.
Concrete pavers can withstand pressure up to 8,000 pounds per square inch. On the other hand, brick pavers can withstand up to 15,000 pounds per square inch of pressure. And coming in on the top are stone pavers that can hold up to 19,000 pounds per square inch of pressure. This can be obtained in some forms of granite.
Ordinary poured concrete pales in comparison to the above. It can only hold up to 3000 pounds per square inch of pressure.
What surface can you put a hot tub on?
There are so many kinds of surfaces that one could place a hot tub on. The most important thing is that the surface is level. You must know that level surfaces are the best for a hot tub. This is to prevent undue stress on the frame and shell. Let’s look at the different surfaces one can use.
- Concrete: The installation of concrete slabs is quite a common approach for hot tub owners. This is because concrete provides durability and keeps the area nice and clean. Concrete installation won’t eat into your budget too much either. It is also guaranteed to hold the weight of your tub. You also have the option of reinforcing the concrete with steel rods. This will increase its capacity to hold even larger tubs. The recommended thickness for concrete slabs is at least 4 inches (10 cm).
- Decking: Wood decking is another option to explore when looking for surfaces to place your hot tub on. Due to the weight that a hot tub can carry, you must ensure that your deck is strong enough to carry it. If you intend for your deck to be above 2 feet off the ground, then you must ensure that you place additional support posts. These support posts should be at most 30 inches apart.
- Hot tub pad: This is also a good option for creating a stable surface. They are also known as spa pads and are typically made from plastic material. Regardless of this fact, they can still support the weight of your hot tub. The advantage of using hot tub pads is that there is an installation. They are quite light, as an 8 ft by 8 ft pad could weigh just about 15 pounds.
Just dig out 4 inches of soil and then pour some gravel in before placing your hot tub pads. This will ensure that the ground does not shift below the hot tub.
Can you use pavers for a hot tub?
Yes, you can. Pavers are another excellent option you can use as your hot tub base, though with some precautions. Pavers are raised in height and, as such, could affect the level of the base.
As you must know very well, an unlevel base can cause problems for your hot tub. When using pavers, choose ones with a smooth surface and that can interlock at a level height to give a flat, stable surface.
It is recommended that you add another base under the pavers. This could be concrete slabs, sand, or gravel. This will ensure more stability.
To prepare a gravel base, pour in gravel till it is 6 inches thick, then use pavers that are two inches thick. Also make sure that the paver area is wider than the base of the tub. You don’t want to be stepping on gravel with wet feet. Also, it is advisable to use permeable paving. This will make draining water easy.
Can you put a hot tub on stones?
Yes, you can. You can place your hot tub on a base of crushed stones or gravel. This is a perfect surface, as the stones are sturdy enough to hold up the weight of your hot tub. They also provide excellent drainage from pool splashes.
What is the best base to put a hot tub on?
The following details why gravel stands out as the best option among the surfaces we have examined:
- Excellent drainage: Due to the nature of gravel, it will allow water to drain from your tub. Gravel is still a fantastic choice, whether the water is from splashes or from you emptying the tub of water.
- Easy installation: Gravel is quite easy to install. All you need are the stones. No mixing is required. You don’t have to wait for it to set, like concrete.
- Doesn’t crack: Unlike concrete, gravel doesn’t crack. Concrete, over time, cracks due to excess water remaining on the surface.
- Aesthetically pleasing: With all these other wonderful features, gravel is still aesthetically pleasing. You can place it in any location or landscape, and it will still look great.
- Will mold to your hot tub: If you use gravel, you won’t have to be concerned about your hot tub getting unstable over time. The gravel simply adjusts to the base and holds it in place.
- It’s very affordable: Getting gravel doesn’t require a lot of money. The stones are quite easy and affordable to source. And it still gives you quality benefits.
How do you level a paver for a hot tub?
The paver’s surface should be taken into consideration before use. Usage of raised pavers with ridges or a rough surface is not recommended. This can put stress on the surface of your tub and lead to cracking . Always go for pavers with smooth surfaces.
Pavers should be supported on a slab of concrete, sand, or gravel when you want to level them. Then the tub can be placed on the pavers, which hold it up and keep it steady.
Are pavers stronger than concrete?
Yes, they are. As mentioned above, normal poured concrete can only withstand up to 3000 pounds per square inch of pressure. However, pavers can withstand pressures between 8000 and 19000 pounds per square inch.
Does a hot tub need a concrete base?
No it doesn’t. Though concrete bases are one of the most durable out there, there are other options which are cheaper and still give you good results too. Investing in decking, pavers, and hot tub pads is also a wise thing to do.
How far should a hot tub be from the house?
The recommended distance from your house should be about 5 feet. There are a number of reasons why this is so.
- To avoid flooding: There will be times when you want to drain your pool. What no tub owner wants is excess water running into their houses. Because of this, it is recommended to place your hot tub at least 5 feet away from your home or any other structures.
- Distance from water source: The distance from your hot tub shouldn’t be too great. This is so that you can easily fill it with water from your house. Most garden hoses don’t extend more than five feet. Therefore, it is suggested that you install your hot tub at that distance to ensure that you don’t incur additional costs for longer hoses.
- Proximity to a power outlet: As with water supply above, proximity to a power outlet is of essence. Situating your pool far from the power outlet or panel can cost a fortune. When you choose to place it closer to the house, it is less expensive.
How thick should pavers be under a hot tub?
Pavers should have a 2 inch (5 cm) minimum thickness.